Many business owners and entrepreneurs are creating authority and connecting with clients through book publishing. Recently, Adi Klevit of Business Success Consulting Group spoke with Anna David, the Founder of Legacy Launch Pad Publishing, about this method of authority building. During their discussion, Anna shared her process for ensuring that her clients successfully publish a book that communicates to and reaches their target market. This article shares that process.
The Process for Creating Authority Through Book Publishing
Publishing a successful nonfiction book is a fantastic way to gain authority as a business leader. It helps entrepreneurs connect with clients, makes it easier to secure speaking engagements, and provides a teaching outlet for industry leaders. However, not everyone is ready to write or successfully publish a book.
Here is a process you can utilize as you consider creating and publishing your own authority-building book:
1. Identify your target market.
The first thing you do when creating a marketing plan or product is to determine the target market. View your book as a marketing tool.
2. Write the book.
There are two ways to do this. You can either do it alone or delegate the work to a professional ghostwriter.
If you plan to write the book on your own, Anna recommends:
a. Writing an outline.
b. Giving yourself a deadline.
c. Working on it every day.
d. Hire a professional editor once it is completed.
e. Work with a professional cover designer to ensure the end product looks professional.
The other option is, of course, to work with a ghostwriter. They will likely get you the product you want with much less time commitment on your end.
3. Launch the book
A book launch has many moving parts. Here are a few pieces of the process that you must have in place:
- Include a lead magnet within the book to ensure readers subscribe to your newsletter. Setting up that funnel before launch will help you acquire new customers after the book is released.
- A system for obtaining reviews and posting them on the release day. Anna helps authors create a launch team that prereads the book and then writes and posts reviews on the release day.
- Make a list of snippets from your book that you or your marketing team can post on social media.
- Reach out to podcasters in the medium download range – with at least 20 episodes with a thousand downloads each.
4. Use the book to build authority
Now that you have a launched book, it’s time to use it to build authority. You can:
- Send a signed hardback to potential clients.
- Mention the book when pitching speaking engagements.
- Provide the book at speaking events.
- Utilize the book as a loss leader.
- Note that you’re a published author in your email sign-off.
There are many methods for building authority. Writing and publishing a book is just one of those ways.
At Business Success Consulting Group, our focus is on business processes and procedures. We will provide a free initial consultation to determine how we can best assist you. If you need help building and documenting business systems, get in touch.