One of the common questions people ask the Business Success Consulting Group team is, why do we focus so much attention on system documentation? In this article, we discuss why system documentation is crucial for a company’s success and what you can expect when working with our team.
Why is system documentation crucial for success?
While we focus heavily on documentation, you will see that our real focus is on efficiency and ROI. Creating a more efficient organization with well-documented processes often leads to increased efficiency in areas that provide a great return on investment.
Most companies reach out to Business Success Consulting Group when they:
- Are growing and scaling.
- Have executives who would like to extract themselves from the day-to-day operations.
- Would like to focus on expanding.
- Have executives or key personnel who want to replace themselves.
These various circumstances require varied solutions. However, some keys to each issue are documentation of processes and procedures, recorded best practices, and detailed knowledge transfer information. This information must “live” somewhere that is accessible so that the next person to take on a role can gain hard-earned knowledge and follow best practices to succeed in their job.
We use documentation to avoid hidden costs
If you have been in business for any length of time, you likely know that hiring a new employee means taking on some liability at the outset. There are hidden costs with any new hire, many of which can be solved by proper documentation of processes, procedures, functions, and best practices.
These costs include:
- Lost productivity when a new hire interrupts top producers with questions.
- Mistakes made as a new hire gets to grips with the business.
- Damaged reputation with clients as an employee flails around trying to help them.
- Decreased teamwork as other employees become frustrated with the untrained new hire.
You can see how each of the above costs can spool out even to seasoned employees.
Take that last point, damaged reputation. This can occur even when longer-term employees take on a project with which they are unfamiliar. If you don’t have a well-documented set of policies and processes for customer service, returns, queries, or complaints, seasoned employees will experience challenges when helping clients.
Well-documented policies, processes, and procedures can reduce the above hidden costs and help the whole team work together more effectively as you grow your business.
What to expect when working with Business Success Consulting Group
Our focus is ROI
Documentation is a crucial part of how our team helps businesses succeed, but it isn’t the only thing we do. Here is the methodology that we employ when a company executive wants to work with our team:
- Assess the company in terms of procedures to understand the desired deliverables.
- Discover why the company hasn’t yet achieved these goals.
- Break down what needs to be done into quarters so that they can be easily accomplished.
- Map out the processes with the key players from beginning to end.
- Record meetings and then extract the procedures from them.
- Implement the documented processes and procedures to make sure they are followed by all.
There will always be points that can be improved, and our focus is on:
- How can we help a business save time, be more efficient, and improve customer experience?
- What is most important for the company?
- What will provide the biggest ROI?
If you are growing your company, hoping to step back from the business, or considering exiting – or all of the above, get in touch with Business Success Consulting Group. The first step we take is a free consultation to find out how we can best help you. Schedule your free consultation here.